Podenzana Castle: Medieval castle in the Podenzana valley
The first news about the castle of Podenzana exists in the document of the foundation of the Abbey of San Caprasio in Aulla in 884. The territory of Podenzana has long been disputed between the bishop of Luni and the Malaspina family. The village and castle were transferred to the Malaspina dominion only in the 13th century. The entire village was also occupied regularly by the Genoese, the most significant in 1416 and 1449.
It was only in 1536 that Podenzana became an independent fiefdom. During the eighteenth century the castle suffered extensive damage to the structure, devastated by fire and artillery mines of the enemy troops caused by the war of the Spanish succession.
Back under the custody of the Malaspina family, through the figure of the Marquis Alessandro II, Podenzana and its Castle remained under the control of the Malaspina family uninterrupted until 1797, the year in which Napoleon Bonaparte instituted the abolition of the fiefdoms.
Podenzana Castle is located on a vast and evocative landscape against the backdrop of the Apuan Alps. Like any medieval castle, its position was designed to control the surrounding territory and in fact from the top of its towers it was possible to view the narrow gorges of the Magra river.
Private castle: not open to the public
How to reach Podenzana Castle
From Aulla follow the directions for Podenzana. When you arrive at the headquarters of the municipality of Podenzana continue for about 1km following the signs. About 500 meters after the town, go down the road on the right which leads to the castle.